Faith and Covenant

Sandy Bottom Baptist Church was organized on June 29, 1902 with fifteen charter
members: Ann Mariah Croom, Jesse J. and Maude Croom, Seth and Nimmie Croom,
Rufus P. and Meta Croom, Vivian Croom, Joseph W. Croom, Clyde Croom, Rudolph
Croom, Addie Cauley, Leona Davis, Lizzie Haynes, and Reverend W. L. Bilbro, the first
pastor. The church was started for people in the community, most or all who belonged
to New Hope Baptist Church. The road conditions at the time made travel to and from
that church difficult and time-consuming.

Fannie Croom Bunn and Joseph R. Croom donated the land for the church, and a
one room building was completed and dedicated on March 31, 1907. The building was
heated with a wood heater and illuminated by kerosene lamps. In about 1910, an organ
was purchased and the church was the first painted. A Sunday School was organized by
1920.

For many years the church shared a pastor with five other Southern Baptist churches:
New Hope, Bethel, Cabin, Union, and Seven Springs. Sandy Bottom had only one
morning and one evening service each month. In the forties, electrical wiring and
lighting were installed. By the early fifties, the church was sharing pastors with only
one other church: New Hope. The first addition to the church added six Sunday School
rooms and moved the pulpit back to where it is now. By 1955 the Sunday School had
grown, and eight more Sunday School rooms were added. During this time, a Woman’s
Missionary Society and an Adult Choir were formed and gas heaters installed.
In 1963 the church built the parsonage and called its own fulltime pastor in 1964.

The Church pastors are:
Ed Carroll 1963-1966
Jim Hathorn 1967-1972
Floyd Enzor 1973-1977
Joe Coker 1978-1980
Norman Simpson 1981-1984
Tom Waits 1985-1995
Tom Jones 1996-1998
Steve Gillette 1999-2003
Tom Jones 2003-2004
Mike Dixon 2004-2016
Rick Mondell 2016-

The church built and paid for the Fellowship Hall in 1976, all in a period of about five
months. The church built a gazebo with a barbecue shortly thereafter. In 1998, the
church had beautiful, new stained-glass windows installed and dedicated. They were
given in loving memory of Charles Avery by his family. Many needed, beautiful and
attractive accomplishments have been achieved over the years through loving
contributions of time and money.